COVID Recovery and a stronger, more fair business environment
Fighting for … support for our industries to recover and thrive after the pandemic.
Continued targeted financial and business support for the sector as the economy recovers, including grants, loans, business rates discounts and relief
- Additional financial support for the delivery of hair and beauty education and training impacted by COVID-19.
- Continued clear and workable guidelines to ensure the safety of business owners, their staff and clients.
- Government support for high streets and town centre improvement schemes to support levelling up, restore confidence in our high streets and increase footfall.
- The National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage to be increased more gradually and over a longer period of time to help businesses recover and protect jobs.
- A fairer system that enables employers to recruit and employ apprentices from any age group.
- Employers to pay the apprenticeship rate for the National Minimum Wage for the duration of the apprenticeship, with the government making up the difference to the applicable age group rate.
- A tax system that creates a level playing field between salons and barbershops with employees and those with self-employed chair or room renters.
- A lower VAT rate for labour-intensive service industries, such as salons and barbershops.
- Tiered VAT rates so a large VAT bill is not payable as soon as the threshold is reached.
Level playing field
- A level playing field in the way that legislation and guidelines apply between salon and barbershop owners and self-employed chair, space or room renters.
Useful resources from the NHBF: