1 June 2021
This update covers:
- Scottish Government to lift face mask restrictions.
- VAT Deferral reminder.
- Northern Ireland: Small Business Support Grant Top-Up.
- Lockdown dates across the four nations.
Scottish Government to lift face mask restrictions
From Monday 31 May, clients may temporarily remove a face covering to receive a treatment to this area, as long as the practitioner is wearing a Fluid Resistant Surgical Face Mask (Type IIR mask) and a visor or goggles. The restrictions were lifted after the NHBF wrote a letter to the Scottish Government urging them to review the rules around the removal of face masks for treatments.
Richard Lambert, NHBF chief executive said“I’m delighted that salons in Scotland will finally be on a level playing field with the rest of the UK and that we succeeded in making the case that this is a safe and responsible sector. It proves that building relationships with Government is every bit as important as campaigning hard. Good luck to all those now able to offer their full list of treatments and services, I hope business booms.”
VAT Deferral reminder
Businesses that deferred VAT payments between 20 March and 30 June 2020 have until 21 June 2021 to join the new online payment scheme to spread the cost for their deferred VAT.
The New Payment Scheme enables you:
- pay your deferred VAT in equal instalments, interest free
- choose the number of instalments, from 2 to 11 (depending on when you join)
Northern Ireland: Small business support grant top-up
The Small Business Support Grant Top-Up Scheme provides financial support of up to £5,000 to businesses that received the £10,000 Small Business Support Grant and have not been paid under the Localised Restrictions Support Scheme or Covid Restrictions Business Support Scheme: Part B. Eligible businesses will receive an email or letter to confirm that the grant payment has been issued. Payments will begin to issue to eligible businesses from Thursday 27 May 2021.
Businesses which started trading after the applications for the £10,000 Small Business Support Grant closed in May 2020, will have the opportunity to apply for the Small Business Grant Top-Up from early June 2021.
Lockdown dates across the four nations
Read our four nations FAQs which include links to the latest government guidance that must be followed.
England: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open. Saunas and steam rooms are allowed to open under step 3 of the roadmap which started on 17 May 2021. Find out more on the government website.
Wales: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open.
Scotland: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open.
Northern Ireland: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open.
- Read our four nations FAQs.
- Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
- Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
- How to cope with local lockdowns.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.