16 March 2021
This update covers:
- Wales: first steps out of lockdown.
- England and Wales: eviction ban extended.
- Northern Ireland: more grants announced.
- Colourstart allergy alert tests now approved by Coversure.
- Lockdown dates across the four nations.
Wales: first steps out of lockdown
Hair and barbering services were allowed to open by appointment only from Monday 15 March.
We have asked the Welsh Government if mobile hair and barbering services can also begin work again and are pressing for an urgent answer. The current guidance is not clear. It says: "Appointments that take place in a person’s home should be undertaken only if there is no reasonably practical alternatives".
Beauty businesses (close contact services, which includes nail salons and eyebrow bars) must remain closed. A review on 1 April will consider whether close contact services can reopen on 12 April.
- All hair and barbering businesses in Wales, must operate on a strict appointment-only basis.
- Services that relate to cutting, colouring or styling hair on the head can be provided. This is set out in the latest Welsh coronavirus law.
- Trimming or shaving facial hair (for example beards, moustaches, or eyebrows) is not permitted.
England and Wales: eviction ban extended to June
Salons and barbershops in England and Wales are now protected from eviction for non-payment of rent until the end of June 2021.
The cut-off date was originally 31 March 2021.
The move is part of a package of support for businesses affected by the pandemic.
Find out more on the government website about the eviction ban in England.
Find out more on the Welsh Government website about the eviction ban in Wales.
NHBF Members can download a detailed fact sheet about how to negotiate with your landlord.
Northern Ireland: more grants announced
A number of new grants have been announced for businesses in Northern Ireland. Bookmark this page on the Northern Ireland Executive website where more details on how to apply will be published soon.
Colourstart allergy alert tests now approved by Coversure
Good news! Colourstart’s allergy alert testing system for client use at home is now backed by Coversure insurance policies.
The aim is to reduce the delay and inconvenience caused by the need for allergy alert testing before colour treatments and to help salons and barbershops get back on their feet as quickly as possible.
The NHBF worked closely with Coversure to have Colourstart approved for the benefit of our Members. If you are insured with a different provider, check if they will cover Colourstart.
Contact Coversure for more details on 0800 458 8181 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lockdown dates across the four nations
England: The government published a ‘roadmap’ out of lockdown on 22 February 2021.
‘Personal care premises’ including hairdressers, salons and close contact services will be allowed to open in step two of the roadmap. Step two will begin at least five weeks after 8 March 2021 (when step one begins) and no earlier than 12 April 2021.
Saunas and steam rooms cannot open until step 3 of the roadmap which is due to start no earlier than 17 May, and at least five weeks after step 2. Find out more on the government website. Download a pdf of the full roadmap.
Wales: Hair and barbering services were allowed to open by appointment only from Monday 15 March. See detailed information above.
Scotland: Mainland Scotland is currently under lockdown.* An announcement about when close contact services may be able to reopen is expected later today (16 March 2021). Find out more on the Scottish Government website.
Northern Ireland: Northern Ireland is under lockdown. The current regulations are now in place until 1 April 2021 but will be reviewed today (16 March 2021). Find out more on the Northern Ireland Executive website.
*The only exceptions to the lockdown in Scotland are:
- The following islands within Argyll and Bute: Coll, Colonsay, Erraid, Gometra, Iona, Islay, Jura, Mull, Oronsay, Tiree, and Ulva.
- All islands in Highland, with the exception of Skye.
In these areas:
- Salons and barbershops can open.
- Mobile hairdressing and barbering can operate.
- Close contact services delivered from a salon, shop or other static site such as a home treatment room can operate.
- All other types of mobile close contact services including beauty are not permitted.
- Read our four nations FAQs.
- Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
- Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
- How to cope with local lockdowns.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- Read our regularly updated job retention scheme FAQs.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.