18 May 2021
This update covers:
- England: use of visors and goggles in salons and barbershops
- New ‘We Offer Testing to our staff’ scheme launched.
- Therapists in England will be equipped to support the wellbeing of clients
- Lockdown dates across the four nations.
England: use of visors and goggles in salons and barbershops
We have received questions seeking clarity about whether face visors/goggles are a legal requirement in England. Government guidance recommends wearing a visor/goggles as well as a mask, but it is not mandatory. The NHBF recommends wearing both as best practice to keep yourself, your staff and your clients safe and to reduce the risk of transmission.
We are aware that some local authorities are interpreting the guidance more strictly. They are entitled to do so if they believe it is required by local circumstances. If in doubt, you should contact your local environmental health team.
New ‘We Offer Testing to our staff’ scheme launched
A new scheme has been launched in the UK for businesses that offer workplace testing for their staff. The scheme will demonstrate to clients, employees and the public that businesses are working to keep their staff and clients safe. If you are a business that offers rapid workplace testing to your staff, you will be able to download posters and stickers via an online ordering platform, to show that you are keeping your staff and public safe. To be eligible for the scheme, you must have registered for workplace testing before 12 April. Find out more on the government website.
Therapists in England will be equipped to support the wellbeing of clients
Therapists in England can now choose to complete an apprenticeship in Wellbeing and Holistic Therapy, as the level 3 in Wellbeing and Holistic Therapist Apprenticeship is finally open for delivery by the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education, with a maximum funding cap of £9,000. Find out more here.
Lockdown dates across the four nations
Read our four nations FAQs which include links to the latest government guidance that must be followed.
England: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open. Saunas and steam rooms are allowed to open under step 3 of the roadmap which started on 17 May 2021. Find out more on the government website.
Wales: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open.
Scotland: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open.
Northern Ireland: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open.
- Read our four nations FAQs.
- Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
- Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
- How to cope with local lockdowns.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.