13 May 2020
This update includes:
- What the NHBF is doing to ensure salons and barbershops can open safely.
- A reminder that the self-employment income support scheme is now open.
- Links to existing and upcoming webinars on a range of topics.
Ensuring salons and barbershops can reopen safely
The government has announced that salons and barbershops may be able to open from 4 July, although this is not a confirmed date.
The NHBF continues to work closely with the government at the highest levels to ensure everyone in our industry has clear safety guidelines for reopening. As part of this work we have written an open letter to business secretary Alok Sharma to call for a clear and consistent approach from the government.
We are continuing to press for answers and to ensure government ministers and officials understand the particular challenges our industry faces.
Self-employment income support scheme now open
The online service for this scheme is now open. You can claim under this scheme if you’re a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership and all of the following apply:
- You traded in the tax year 2018 to 2019 and submitted your Self Assessment tax return on or before 23 April 2020 for that year.
- You traded in the tax year 2019 to 2020.
- You intend to continue to trade in the tax year 2020 to 2021.
- Your business has been adversely affected by coronavirus.
NHBF Members can access our free programme of industry-specific webinars and watch again or catch up if you missed them first time round. Find out more.
The government is continuing to run free webinars on the following topics:
- Coronavirus COVID-19 Statutory Sick Pay rebate scheme
- Coronavirus job retention scheme – how to make a claim
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) – self-employment income support scheme (SEISS)
The following webinars are also still available:
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information..
- Read our regularly updated job retention scheme FAQs.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.