16 February 2021
This update covers:
- Lockdown dates across the four nations.
- Scotland: Local Authority Discretionary Fund doubled.
- Scotland: fund for mobile and home-based businesses.
- England: apprenticeship redundancy support.
Lockdown dates across the four nations
England: England is currently under lockdown. The government plans to publish a ‘roadmap’ out of lockdown week beginning 22 February 2021.
Wales: Wales is currently under lockdown. The measures are reviewed every three weeks. The most recent review was 28 January 2021 when it was decided that Wales should remain in lockdown.
Scotland: Mainland Scotland is currently under lockdown until at least the end of February.* The Scottish Government will review this decision two weeks after the announcement was made on 2 February 2021. We are expecting a Scottish announcement about easing restrictions this week and will provide an update when we have it.
Northern Ireland: Northern Ireland is under lockdown. The current regulations are in place until 5 March 2021 but will be reviewed on 18 February 2021.
*The only exceptions to the lockdown in Scotland are:
- The following islands within Argyll and Bute: Coll, Colonsay, Erraid, Gometra, Iona, Islay, Jura, Mull, Oronsay, Tiree, and Ulva
- All islands in Highland, with the exception of Skye
In these areas:
- Salons and barbershops can open.
- Mobile hairdressing and barbering can operate.
- Close contact services delivered from a salon, shop or other static site such as a home treatment room can operate.
- All other types of mobile close contact services including beauty are not permitted.
Scotland: Local Authority Discretionary Fund doubled
A £120 million fund will be distributed by local councils across Scotland to help with the short-term financial challenges being faced by businesses. This is for businesses in Scotland who have not been eligible for previous business support grants. Find out more on the Scottish Government website.
The fund was doubled from its original £60 million to £120 million on 10 February 2021.
Scotland: fund for mobile and home-based businesses
A fund for owners and operators of mobile and home-based close contact service businesses is now open and will be open for four weeks. The fund will be awarded on a ‘first-come first-served’ basis. Visit this page on the Scottish Government website for more information and apply online here.
Eligible applicants will receive a one-off £4,000 payment (£2,000 for the period to end December 2020 and a further £2,000 to cover the period from January 2021 onwards).
England: apprenticeship redundancy support
If you would like to recruit a redundant apprentice or offer new apprenticeship opportunities, please visit hiring an apprentice who has been made redundant or call 0800 015 0600 to find out more. You can also watch a YouTube video for more information.
Apprentices who have been made redundant can find information and support on the National Apprenticeship Service website or call 0800 015 0400 to speak to an adviser.
- Read our four nations FAQs.
- Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
- Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
- How to cope with local lockdowns.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- Read our regularly updated job retention scheme FAQs.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.