18 June 2020
This update covers:
- NHBF urges publication of official government guidelines for reopening.
- The NHBF’s new employment law guide.
- Statutory Sick Pay reminder.
NHBF urges publication of official government guidelines for reopening
The NHBF has written to key government ministers across the nations of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland to stress the need for health & safety guidelines to be published as a matter of urgency. The letter states:
There is growing frustration at the continued delay in publishing these guidelines, preventing hair salons, beauty salons and barbershops from being able to fully prepare their businesses, staff and clients for reopening.
NHBF chief executive Hilary Hall also states in the letter:
We understand the latest advice is that these services will not re-open until 4 July at the earliest but businesses need adequate time – ideally two weeks - to redesign their premises, train staff, ensure they have suitable PPE, communicate with clients regarding operational changes, implement adequate hygiene standards, and come to terms with the changes necessary to ensure the safety of themselves and their clients.
As reviews of lockdown phases are imminent in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, the timing of the letters to these nations is important.
We will let you know as soon as we get a response.
Letters have been sent to:
- Alok Sharma, Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Paul Scully, Minister for Small Business, Consumers and Labour Markets.
- Diane Dodds, Minister for the Economy, Northern Ireland.
- Ken Skates, Minister for Economy, Transport and North Wales in the Welsh Government.
- Fiona Hyslop, Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Fair Work and Culture, Scotland.
New employment law guide
A Member-only guide to employment law has just been published. The free guide provides an overview of coronavirus-related employment law that you will need to be aware of when salons and barbershops reopen. You can also read our blog post to catch up on new employment laws that have come into force this year.
Statutory Sick Pay reminder
The government’s Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) rebate scheme continues to provide financial support to small and medium-sized employers. The repayment will cover up to two weeks of SSP. Find out if you are eligible and how to apply.
- Download our free reopening guide for salons and barbershops. Non-members will need to create a free account.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- Read our regularly updated job retention scheme FAQs.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.