19 November 2020
This update covers:
- Scotland: salons and barbershop businesses to close in some areas.
- Northern Ireland: extension to lockdown.
Scotland: salons and barbershop businesses to close in some areas
Salon and barbershop businesses, including mobile close contact businesses, will have to close in some parts of Scotland from 6pm this Friday (20 November 2020) for three weeks. Businesses will be allowed to reopen on Friday, 11 December 2020. We are waiting for the Scottish Government to confirm the exact timings.
The areas being moved to level 4 are:
- East Ayrshire
- East Dunbartonshire
- East Renfrewshire
- North Lanarkshire
- South Ayrshire
- South Lanarkshire
- West Dunbartonshire
- West Lothian
The financial help available will include:
- A temporary closure grant of £2,000-£3,000 (depending on rateable value) for businesses forced to shut. This will be paid every four weeks in arrears as long as restrictions last.
- A £30m discretionary fund for local authorities to allocate to businesses most adversely affected.
- A £15m fund for newly self-employed people not eligible for previous support.
- Access to the Job Retention (Furlough) Scheme with the UK government paying 80% of staff wages.
Northern Ireland: extension to lockdown
The Northern Ireland Executive has announced an extension to the lockdown which began on Friday, 16 October 2020.
Close contact services such as hairdressers and beauty therapists are not permitted to open again until Friday, 20 November on an appointment-only basis. (This does not apply to services relating to the continuation of essential health interventions and therapeutics.)
The Business Support Scheme and Localised Restrictions Support Scheme will provide support for the extended restriction period. Businesses who have applied to the schemes and are successful will receive a payment for the additional one or two weeks. You do not need to apply again for the extended period.
- Read our four nations FAQs.
- Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
- Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
- How to cope with local lockdowns.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- Read our regularly updated job retention scheme FAQs.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.