19 December 2020
This update covers:
- England: close contact businesses to close tomorrow in Tier 4 areas.
- Northern Ireland: close contact businesses to close on Boxing Day.
- Wales: close contact businesses to close under level four from midnight tonight.
- Chancellor extends furlough and loans schemes.
England: close contact businesses to close tomorrow in Tier 4 area
Today, the Prime Minister has announced a new Tier 4 for London and parts of the South East and the East of England that are now in Tier 3. Tier 4 restrictions include the closure of all personal care services from tomorrow (Sunday 20 December) in London, South East and East of England.
- London (all 32 boroughs)
- Surrey (excluding Waverley)
- The boroughs of Gosport, Havant, Portsmouth Rother and Hastings
- East of England
- Bedford, Central Bedford, Milton Keynes, Luton, Peterborough
- Essex (excluding Colchester, Uttlesford and Tendring)
Salons, barbershops, nail salons, spas, massage parlours, tanning salons and mobile businesses can remain open in all Tiers 1-3.
The Coronavirus Business Grant and Local Restrictions Support Grant given to businesses forced to close under the tier restrictions will be available for Tier 4 businesses. Full details of the financial support available can be found here.
Northern Ireland: close contact businesses to close on Boxing Day.
The Northern Ireland Executive announced that from 00.01 on 26 December Northern Ireland will enter a 6-week lockdown (with a review after 4-weeks) which will require all non-essential businesses to close including all close contact services (including mobile).
It was announced that:
- Those with a genuine medical need will still be able to access specific hair and beauty services by appointment only but must provide the appropriate medical records.
- Make-up artists and hair & beauty practitioners working for the purpose of film and TV will still be able to operate.
- Click and collect is banned for non-essential businesses forced to close this will include hair & beauty businesses.
- Financial packages for the 6-week period are expected to be announced next week.
Find out more on the Northern Ireland Executive website.
Wales: close contact businesses to close under level four
The Welsh Government just announced:
- All close contact businesses must close midnight tonight instead of Christmas Eve as previously stated.
- This level four lockdown will be reviewed in three weeks.
Download a pdf from the Welsh Government website which clearly explains what is allowed under levels one to four.
Chancellor extends furlough and loan schemes
The furlough scheme has been extended until the end of April 2021 with the government
continuing to contribute 80% towards wages – giving businesses and employees across the UK certainty into the New Year, the Chancellor announced yesterday. Find out more on the government website.
- Read our four nations FAQs.
- Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
- Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
- How to cope with local lockdowns.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- Read our regularly updated job retention scheme FAQs.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.