2 July 2020
This update covers:
- Flexible furlough scheme now in place.
- VAT deferral scheme has now ended.
Flexible furlough scheme now in place
Salons and barbershops can now bring furloughed employees back to work on a part-time basis. This change has been in force since yesterday, 1 July 2020.
You can decide the hours and shift patterns your employees work. The government will continue to pay 80% of salaries for the hours your employees do not work (This goes down to 70% in September, and 60% in October).
The furlough scheme will remain open until October. Find more details about how it will work until then.
VAT deferral scheme has now ended
The VAT payments deferral scheme ended on 30 June 2020.
If you deferred VAT payments between 20 March 2020 and 30 June 2020, you now need to:
- Set up cancelled direct debits in enough time for HMRC to take payment.
- Continue to submit VAT returns as normal, and on time.
- Pay the VAT in full on payments due after 30 June.
Any VAT payments you have deferred between 20 March and 30 June should be paid in full on or before 31 March 2021.
- Read our FAQs on the government’s safe reopening guidelines.
- Download our free reopening guide for salons and barbershops. Non-members will need to create a free account.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- Read our regularly updated job retention scheme FAQs
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.