20 March 2020
Statement from professional bodies
A joint statement about the coronavirus crisis has been made by the UK’s professional bodies and awarding organisations in the hairdressing, barbering, health, wellbeing and beauty therapy services sector. It acknowledges the pressures and confusion being faced by our industry. Read the full statement.
Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from day one
Emergency coronavirus legislation has now been published and will probably be voted through by MPs early next week. Among many other measures, it will allow self-isolating employees who are eligible for SSP to claim it from day one, backdated to 13 March. (Previously, SSP could be claimed from day four.) Employers with fewer than 250 employers will be able to reclaim the cost for up to two weeks of SSP from the government.
It has already been announced that schools will be closing today (see yesterday’s update). Vulnerable children and the children of key workers can continue to go to school. The government has now published some guidance on this and a list of key workers.
Further emergency measures
The chancellor will be unveiling an emergency package of measures aimed at protecting jobs and wages. We’ll include this information in future updates as it emerges.
More information and resources from the NHBF
- Read our detailed coronavirus FAQs.
- Members can call our membership team on 01234 831965.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number.
- Please follow the links in this NHBF blog post for the latest official government and NHS advice.
- Download information about laying off staff and a template letter.
- Download a poster about the coronavirus to display in your salon or barbershop. This poster advises clients with symptoms to stay away.