24 March 2020
Government says salons and barbershops must close
The government has now officially confirmed that salons and barbershops must close. Its list of businesses that must close includes:
- Hair, beauty and nail salons.*
- Piercing and tattoo parlours.
- Massage parlours.
In addition, the government had already listed spas and wellness centres.
A package of financial support has already been announced by the government to help businesses stay afloat. This includes a pledge to pay 80% of employees’ wages. Find out more.
*What is meant by hair, beauty and nail salons?
We understand that the following would be included under this general heading:
- Beauty salons
- Hair salons
- Nail bars
- Aesthetics clinics
- Home-based salons.
- Mobile stylists, beauty therapists and barbers.
More information and resources from the NHBF
- Read our detailed coronavirus FAQs.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number.