27 January 2021
This update covers:
- Scotland: more support for hair and beauty businesses in the wedding sector.
- Scotland: Friday deadline for next self-employment grant and guidelines updated.
- England, Scotland and Wales: Kickstart Scheme made simpler for employers
Scotland: Friday deadline for next self-employed grant and guidelines updated
The deadline for applications for the third instalment of the self-employment grant is this Friday, 29 January 2021. This will provide a taxable grant covering 80% of average monthly trading profits. It will be paid out in a single instalment covering three months’ worth of profits and capped at £7,500 in total.
The next instalment will cover a three-month period from 1 February 2021 until 30 April 2021. The government will set the amount of this grant in due course.
Tax and National Insurance must be paid on the grants.
The guidelines for this scheme have been updated. Find out more on the Scottish Government website.
Scotland: new support for hair and beauty working in the wedding sector
Non-mobile hair and beauty businesses working in the wedding sector can apply to a £25 million support fund when applications open on Thursday, 28 January 2021.
In recognition of the continuing challenges faced by the sector, a further £10 million has been added to the £15 million announced in December.
The fund will provide one-off grants of up to £25,000 for eligible businesses affected by the pandemic. Find out more on the Scottish Government website.
Make sure you claim all the financial support you are entitled to. Find out more on our website:
England, Scotland and Wales: Kickstart Scheme made simpler for employers
From 3 February 2021, employers in England, Scotland and Wales will be able to apply to the Kickstart Scheme without a minimum threshold of 30 jobs.
The scheme, which began in September 2020, is helping to put young people aged 16-24 on the first rung of their career ladder.
The government will make it even simpler for employers of all sizes to benefit from joining the scheme by removing the requirement to create a minimum of 30 vacancies to apply directly.
The scheme will run until December 2021. Find out more on the government website.
- Read our four nations FAQs.
- Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
- Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
- How to cope with local lockdowns.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- Read our regularly updated job retention scheme FAQs.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.