7 May 2020
This update covers the expected government review of lockdown measures; the latest news on business rates; and the second phase of Scotland’s small business grant scheme which is now open for applications.
Government review of lockdown measures
A Cabinet meeting to be held today will review the current coronavirus lockdown measures and it is expected that some restrictions may be eased next week. The NHBF continues to work with the government to ensure salons and barbershops are not allowed to reopen until it is safe to do so and clear guidance is available on protective measures including PPE (personal protective equipment).
The NHBF is currently working on a reopening guide that will be available to everyone in the industry. NHBF Members will also be able to download a range of free templates including information posters and communications for staff and clients.
Business rates revaluation postponed to help business
The revaluation of business rates in England and Wales will no longer take place in 2021 to help reduce uncertainty for businesses affected by coronavirus. The revaluation will be postponed until 2022. Find out more.
Scotland: small business rate grant scheme
This scheme, which extends grant support to other eligible properties, is now open for applications. In addition, retail, hospitality and leisure properties with a rateable value of up to £18,000 that do not qualify for the small business bonus scheme, may now qualify for small business grants. Find out more on the Scottish Government website.
Don’t forget – some support measures may vary depending on where your business is located in the UK. Find out more:
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information..
- Read our regularly updated job retention scheme FAQs.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.