28 September 2021
This update covers:
- Pandemic support schemes winding down
- MTD rollout delayed
- Flexible working from day one
- Plastic Packaging Tax guides
- Fake banknote training
- COVID-19 guidance
Pandemic support schemes winding down
On 30 September, the Government's furlough scheme and grant scheme for self-employed people will close. Pandemic-related restrictions on the issuance of winding-up petitions will be lifted (although the threshold of qualifying debt needed to issue a WUP will rise from the pre-pandemic level of £750 to £10,000 until the end of March next year). Apprenticeship Incentive payments will end as well. NHBF Four nation FAQ blog will be updated this week to reflect the latest updates.
MTD rollout delayed
The Government has pushed back the introduction of Making Tax Digital (MTD) for Income Tax Self-Assessment until the tax year beginning April 2024, giving millions of self-employed an extra year to prepare for the switchover.
Flexible working from day one
A consultation on flexible working rights has been unveiled, Making flexible working the default. The Government's stated aim through the consultation is to provide employees with the right to request flexible working from the first day of employment.
Plastic Packaging Tax guides
In addition to the recently-updated guidance for all businesses which will be affected by the Plastic Packaging Tax, coming in next April, HMRC has produced two decision tree guides, to help businesses navigate the new tax: "Is your packaging in scope of Plastic Packaging Tax?", and "Are you liable to register for Plastic Packaging Tax?".
Fake banknote training
Free online training on how to spot genuine/fake banknotes is available via the Bank of England. 07443645252
Coronavirus: Business closures and restrictions in Northern Ireland
Coronavirus: Safer businesses and workplaces in Scotland
Working safely during coronavirus in England
Workplace guidance for employers and employees in Wales
See all updates
- Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
- Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a considerable number of calls.