7 December 2021
Latest NHBF update – 7 December 2021
This week’s update covers:
- Strict new rules for ads for cosmetic interventions
- New mask rules in England
- Taxation of Covid grants and payments
- COVID-19 guidance
Strict new rules for ads for cosmetic interventions
The Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) and Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice (BCAP) are introducing new targeting restrictions that prohibit cosmetic interventions advertisements being directed at under-18s following a public consultation last year.
The new targeting restrictions will come into effect on 25 May 2022 and essentially require that:
- Ads for cosmetic interventions must not appear in non-broadcast media directed at under-18s;
- Ads for cosmetic interventions must not appear in other non-broadcast media where under-18s make up over 25% of the audience; and
- Broadcast ads for cosmetic interventions must not appear during or adjacent to programmes commissioned for, principally directed at or likely to appeal particularly to under-18s.
New mask rules in England
To tackle the omicron variant of Covid, new rules on mask-wearing on public transport and in some business premises, including hair salons and barbershops in England, have come into effect from Tuesday 30 November. Due to the Government updating its close contact guidance, the NHBF four nations FAQ on the Coronavirus has also been updated with the latest information.
Taxation of Covid grants and payments
HMRC is reminding businesses that grants and payments from the Government's Covid support schemes are taxable - more information can be found here. Any business which has already submitted its tax return without accounting for the tax due on these schemes will need to submit an amended return. HMRC has said that it will support customers who need help declaring their grants or are concerned about their ability to pay any tax due. In addition, Companies House is reminding all businesses to file their accounts early and online to avoid delays.
Read our four nations’ FAQs which include links to the latest government guidance that must be followed.
Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a considerable number of calls.