Putting safety and quality first
Raising awareness … upholding standards, safety and quality across the industries.
- To ensure our Members understand and comply with our code of conduct for salon owners, barbershops and the self-employed.
- Health, safety and infection control to be a priority in every salon and barbershop.
- Ensuring salons and barbershops understand and comply with health & safety laws.
- All hair and beauty businesses to have the appropriate insurance which covers all treatments and services offered.
- A salon licensing scheme for those practising aesthetics, building on existing local authority treatment licences.
- All practitioners hold a UK-regulated qualification and maintain CPD (continuing professional development).
- Ensuring salons and barbershops complete and record consultations, allergy alert and industry tests to protect clients, which sets their businesses apart as a professional salon or barbershop and helps prevent potentially expensive legal action.
- Introduce a national process to support the handling of complaints through Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and an open and transparent process for the reporting of grievances between businesses and clients.
Useful resources from the NHBF:
- Member-only health & safety helpline
- Specialist insurance with 20% off for Members
- Hair health & safety pack – Member discount
- Beauty health & safety pack – Member discount
- Hair health & safety toolkit – Member discount
- Beauty health & safety toolkit – Member discount
- Health & safety in your hair or barbershop
- Health & safety in your beauty salon