9 July 2020
Chancellor Rishi Sunak announced his ‘plan for jobs’ yesterday, 8 July 2020.
He confirmed that the furlough scheme will end in October 2020.
This update covers some of the new initiatives he announced:
- Job retention bonus.
- Kickstart scheme.
In addition: Businesses in Scotland who wish to apply for grants to help with the impact of coronavirus must apply by tomorrow,10 July 2020. Find out more.
Job retention bonus
A one-off job retention bonus of £1,000 will be paid to employers for each furloughed employee who is still employed on 31 January 2021 and earning at least £520 a month.
The kickstart scheme will pay employers to create six-month job placements for any 16-24-year-olds who are claiming Universal Credit and at risk of long-term unemployment.
The jobs must be for a minimum of 25 hours a week and paid at least the National Minimum Wage. The government will pay the wages for six months plus an amount for overheads. For a 24-year-old the grant would be about £6,500. Employers will provide training and support to find a permanent job.
Employers can apply to be part of this scheme from next month.
Over the next six months, the government will pay employers £2,000 for each new apprenticeship they create for an individual under the age of 25.
The government will also introduce a brand-new bonus of £1,500 for businesses who take on an apprentice aged 25 and over.
This money is in addition to the existing £1,000 payment the government already provides for new 16-18-year-old apprentices and those aged under 25 with an education, health and care Plan.
Employers in England will be paid £1,000 to take on new trainees. Eligibility for traineeships will be expanded to those with level 3 qualifications and below to ensure that more young people have access to high-quality training.
- Read our FAQs on the government’s safe reopening guidelines.
- Download our free reopening guide for salons and barbershops. Non-members will need to create a free account.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information..
- Read our regularly updated job retention scheme FAQs.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.