17 August 2021
Latest NHBF update – 17 August 2021
This update covers:
- GDPR letter from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
- England: Self Isolation rule change
- Business rates consultation
- T-Levels webinar
GDPR letter from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
The UK’s data protection regulator, the ICO, is contacting all organisations that appear to need to register with it and pay a fee under data protection legislation.
All businesses that hold or process personal information should pay the annual data protection fee unless they are exempt. The fee applies no matter how big or small your business is, although not everyone has to pay the same amount.
Hair & beauty salons would not necessarily need to pay the fee. However, if you have CCTV on your business premises for the purpose of crime prevention, you are required to pay the data protection fee. It is worth checking with the ICO’s online self-assessment tool just to be sure.
England and Northern Ireland: Self-isolation rule change
As of 16 August 2021, rules to self-isolating for COVID-19 has changed in England.
People who are fully vaccinated or aged under 18 and six months no longer need to self-isolate if they’ve had close contact with someone who has COVID-19. If they get any COVID-19 symptoms, they should self-isolate and get a PCR test.
In Northern Ireland, fully vaccinated (more than 14 days since you received the second dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine), you no longer need to self-isolate for 10 days if someone you have been in close contact with tests positive for COVID-19. Instead of self-isolating, you should get a PCR test on day two and day eight of the 10 day period following last contact with the positive person.
Business rates consultation
The Government's consultation on potential changes to the business rates revaluation cycle is closing soon (24 August). You can get your response in before then here.
The Government is holding a webinar on T-Levels and industry placements and supporting your workplace development on 18 August. Register here.
Coronavirus: Business closures and restrictions in Northern Ireland
Coronavirus: Safer businesses and workplaces in Scotland
Working safely during coronavirus in England
Workplace guidance for employers and employees in Wales
See all updates
• Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
• Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
• Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
• NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
• Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
• For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a considerable number of calls.