20 July 2021
This update covers:
- Covid-19 restrictions lifted in England
- Scotland moves to level 0
- NHBF survey demonstrates beauty taking brunt of pandemic
Covid-19 restrictions lifted in England
From 19 July, most Covid-19 restrictions in England have been lifted as part of the Governments roadmap out of lockdown.
The key changes are as follows:
- Legal requirements to wear a face covering lifted.
- Social distancing rules (2 metres or 1 metre with additional mitigations) removed.
- Legal restrictions replaced with guidance to help people make their own informed judgements on how to keep themselves and others safe.
It was also confirmed that from 16 August, under-18s and people who have been fully vaccinated will not have to self-isolate if they have been in contact with a positive case.
Full details of the changes can be found in the Government’s ‘Summer 2021 Roadmap’.
The NHBF has published further summary of the new guidance.
Scotland moves to level 0
Scotland moved to Level 0 from 19 July. This mean physical distancing has been reduced to 1 metre in all settings. The use of face coverings will remain mandatory until at least 9 August.
Confirming the change to Level 0, the First Minister urged people to adhere to protective measures and sensible precautions to suppress coronavirus (Covid-19) to help create conditions that allow Scotland to move beyond Level 0 on 9 August.
Scotland follows a Covid-19 levels system (0-4). Each level has a different set of rules on what you can and cannot do. Find out the level and rules for an area.
NHBF survey demonstrates beauty taking brunt of pandemic
As restrictions lift across the UK, the latest National Hair & Beauty Federation (NHBF) State of the Industry Survey shows beauty salons and professionals struggling to recover, leading to the NHBF calling for an extension of government financial support.
The survey, undertaken between 15-24 June, received 1,750 responses. It gathered views from a good representation of businesses in the Personal Care sector across all areas including city centres, town centres and villages in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
England: As of July 19, England is now in Step four of its roadmap out of lockdown. Most Covid-19 restrictions are now lifted. Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now open and are advised to follow Government and NHBF recommendations. Find out more on the government website.
Wales: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now open under government Coronavirus guidelines.
Scotland: Scotland moved to Level 0 from 19 July. This mean physical distancing has been reduced to 1 metre in all settings. The use of face coverings will remain mandatory until at least 9 August. Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now open under government Coronavirus guidelines.
Northern Ireland: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now open under government Coronavirus guidelines.
Coronavirus: Business closures and restrictions in Northern Ireland
See all updates
- Read our four nations’ FAQs.
- Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
- Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a considerable number of calls.