25 March 2020
The NHBF is continuing to contact a number of key government officials and departments to ask for an improved package of financial support for self-employed individuals.
54% of people who work in the hairdressing and barbering industries are self-employed as are 57% of those who work in the beauty industry.
The government has so far announced the following financial support for the self-employed:
- Access to Universal Credit at a rate equivalent to Statutory Sick Pay for employees.
- The next Self Assessment tax payments will be deferred until January 2021.
Our priority is to protect our industry and the people in it. We are lobbying for the self-employed to get a similar package to the one already offered to employed individuals.
This would give peace of mind to thousands of self-employed people working in our industry who are worried about surviving on Universal Credit at a rate equivalent to Statutory Sick Pay for employees.
We are hoping the chancellor Rishi Sunak will be giving an update on the financial support available to self-employed workers affected by Covid19 over the coming days.
More information and resources from the NHBF
- Read our detailed coronavirus FAQs.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number.
- Please follow the links in this NHBF blog post for the latest official government and NHS advice.