25 May 2021
This update covers:
- NHBF raises industry concerns over rising costs for salons.
- Help to Grow your business programme launches in the UK.
- Northern Ireland: updated advice for ventilation in the workplace.
- Lockdown dates across the four nations.
NHBF raises industry concerns over rising costs for salons
The NHBF had its annual evidence session with the Low Pay Commissioners last week to discuss the impact of the latest increase in the National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage. Whilst the NHBF supports the principle that everyone is entitled to a fair wage, they reinforced the point that there must be a fine balance between increasing wage rates and allowing businesses to recover from one of the worst economic episodes of our lifetime during a very fragile and unpredictable period.
Help to Grow your business programme launches in the UK
The government’s new Help to Grow: Management programme offers the chance for you to learn new skills, reach new customers and boost profits. You can join other senior business leaders in a practical management training programme, with 1-1 mentorship, delivered across the UK by leading business schools accredited by the Small Business Charter. The 12-week programme costs £750 and is 90% subsidised by the government. It is aimed at senor leaders of small and medium businesses.
Click here to find out more and register your interest. Signups to the programme open in June.
Northern Ireland: updated advice for ventilation in the workplace
The Northern Ireland Executive has published updated guidance to help improve ventilation in your business premises. Good ventilation is widely recognised as a way to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19. It is important to use your risk assessment in order to mitigate the risks and ensure sufficient ventilation.
Ways to improve ventilation include:
- keeping doors and windows open, where possible
- running your ventilation system longer and/or at a higher speed
- increasing the frequency of filter changes
- servicing your existing ventilation systems
It is important that fresh air is drawn into your ventilation system, otherwise, you risk just recirculating stagnant air from one space to another. A summary of available resources and guides for Ventilation & Air Conditioning
Lockdown dates across the four nations
Read our four nations FAQs which include links to the latest government guidance that must be followed.
England: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open. Saunas and steam rooms are allowed to open under step 3 of the roadmap which started on 17 May 2021. Find out more on the government website.
Wales: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open.
Scotland: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open.
Northern Ireland: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open.
- Read our four nations FAQs.
- Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
- Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
- How to cope with local lockdowns.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.