27 November 2020
This update covers a round-up of the week’s developments:
- England: salons and barbershops can reopen on 2 December 2020.
- England: salons and barbershops stay open in three-tier system.
- England: close contact guidelines now updated.
- England: full 28-day grant to be paid.
- Scotland: reopening time and date confirmed.
- Northern Ireland: two-week circuit breaker
- Wales: check back for latest close contact guidance.
- NHBF responds to the government’s spending review.
England: salons and barbershops can reopen on 2 December 2020
The government has confirmed that salons, barbershops and close contact mobile services can reopen on Wednesday, 2 December 2020.
Previously, the reopening date set by the government was Thursday, 3 December 2020. However, new legislation means the reopening date is now Wednesday, 2 December 2020.
England: salons and barbershops to stay open in three-tier system
On Wednesday, 2 December 2020, England will return to the three-tier system.
Salons, barbershops, nail salons, spas, massage parlours and tanning salons can remain open in all three tiers. This includes mobile and home-based businesses.
However, there are some restrictions on clients travelling:
- If clients are in tier 1 or 2 they should avoid travel to or overnight stays in tier 3 areas other than where necessary, such as for work, education, youth services, to receive medical treatment, or because of caring responsibilities. You can travel through a tier 3 area as a part of a longer journey.
- If clients are in tier 3 they should avoid travelling to other tiers or parts of the UK, including for overnight stays other than where necessary, such as for work, education, youth services, to receive medical treatment, or because of caring responsibilities. You can travel through other areas as part of a longer journey.
England: close contact guidelines now updated
Covid-secure guidelines for close contact services must be followed. The government has now published updated guidelines for England.
England: full 28-day grant to be paid
BEIS (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) has confirmed to us that the full 28-day grant (coronavirus grant due to national restrictions) will still be paid to salons and barbershops in England, even though they are now allowed to open a day early. Please check with your local authority.
Scotland: reopening time and date confirmed
It has been confirmed that the level 4 restrictions which came into effect at 6pm on Friday, 20 November will be lifted at 6pm on Friday 11 December. Find out more on the Scottish Government website.
Northern Ireland: two-week circuit breaker
A two-week 'circuit breaker' began at midnight on Thursday 26 November and will last until 11.59pm on Thursday, 10 December. This means close contact businesses including salons and barbershops can reopen on Friday, 11 December.
Businesses that must close include:
- Those who provide mobile close contact services from their homes and in other people’s homes, and those in retail environments.
- Hair and beauty in vocational training environments.
Close contact services relating to the continuation of essential health interventions and therapeutics can still operate.
Businesses that don’t comply can be fined between £1,000 and £10,000.
Wales: keep up to date with latest guidelines
The Welsh Government is advising hair and beauty businesses to check back often for the latest guidance on providing close contact services as this will be kept under review.
NHBF responds to the government’s spending review
The NHBF has responded to the government’s spending review with a promise to continue fighting for more financial support for our industry. The NHBF has also written to Chancellor Rishi Sunak pressing him to provide grants for those who have not been eligible for other help.
The spending review announcement confirmed an increase in the National Living Wage (NLW) for 2021/2022 to £8.91 an hour and for the first time, the NLW will be extended to those aged 23 and 24.
- • Read our four nations FAQs.
- • Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
- • Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
- • How to cope with local lockdowns.
- • Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- • Read our regularly updated job retention scheme FAQs.
- • NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- • Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- • For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.