27 April 2021
This update covers:
- Northern Ireland: guidance updated.
- Scotland: hair and beauty now open, plus updated guidance.
- England: have your say on commercial rents.
- Lockdown dates across the four nations.
Northern Ireland: close contact guidance updated
Hair and beauty businesses can now open in Northern Ireland. The guidance for close contact working was updated on 21 April 2021. The main changes are:
- You must take reasonable steps to ensure that clients receiving any service wear a face covering unless they have a reasonable excuse not to do so, or it is necessary not to wear a face covering due to the nature of the service.
- You should wear gloves if possible and avoid skin-to-skin contact with colleagues and clients if it is not crucial for the treatment.
- You must operate on an appointment-only basis.
The guidance for providing contactless click and collect services in Northern Ireland has also been updated.
Scotland: hair and beauty now open, plus updated guidance
Close contact services including hair salons, barbershops, beauty salons and mobile hair and beauty services are now allowed to open. Face coverings are a legal requirement. Services that require a face covering to be removed should not be offered or performed.
England: have your say on commercial rents
Eviction for non-payment of rent on commercial premises is banned in England until the end of June 2021. Now the government wants to hear your views about what should happen next. The government’s aim is to ensure future policies continue to protect businesses and jobs.
Find out more on the government website. You must respond by 11.45am on 4 May 2021.
Lockdown dates across the four nations
England: ‘Personal care premises’ including hairdressers, salons and close contact services were allowed to open in step two of the roadmap on 12 April 2021. This includes mobile businesses. Mobile businesses should follow the guidance for working in other people’s homes as well as the England guidance.
Saunas and steam rooms cannot open until step 3 of the roadmap which is due to start no earlier than 17 May, and at least five weeks after step 2. Find out more on the government website. Download a pdf of the full roadmap.
Wales: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open.
Scotland: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open.
Northern Ireland: Hair and beauty businesses, including mobile, are now allowed to open.
- Read our four nations FAQs.
- Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
- Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
- How to cope with local lockdowns.
- Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- Read our regularly updated job retention scheme FAQs.
- NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.