10 December 2020
This update covers:
- Scotland: level 4 areas to move to level 3 with most close contact businesses able to open.
- Northern Ireland: grants for newly self-employed.
- England and Wales: eviction ban extended until 31 March 2021.
Scotland: Level 4 areas to move to level 3
The 11 Scottish council areas currently under level 4 restrictions will be moved to level 3 on Friday, 11 December 2020.
For close contact services allowed to operate under level 3, the restrictions will lift at 6am in the morning confirmation was received in the First Ministers announcement yesterday.
In level 3:
- Salons and barbershops can open.
- Mobile hairdressing and barbering can operate.
- Close contact services delivered from a salon, shop or other static site such as a home treatment room can operate.
- All other types of mobile close contact services are not permitted.
We are currently waiting for information from the Scottish government on further financial support and will provide an update when this is announced.
Northern Ireland: grants for newly self-employed
The Newly Self-Employed Support Scheme (NSESS) is now open in Northern Ireland.
This will provide financial support to newly self-employed individuals (sole traders and those in partnerships) whose business is adversely affected by the pandemic and who have not been able to access support from the UK government's Self-Employed Income Support Scheme.
A one-off taxable grant of £3,500 will be provided under the Newly Self-Employed Support Scheme. The scheme will close to applications at 6pm on 7 January 2021. Find out more on the Northern Ireland Executive website.
England and Wales: eviction ban extended until 31 March 2021
The government’s in England and Wales have extended their eviction ban for non-payment of rent on commercial premises to 31 March 2021. This follows intensive lobbying from the NHBF for more support for the hair and beauty industry. (This ban does not apply to eviction for other breaches of the lease.) Find out more on the government websites for England and Wales.
Eviction for non-payment of rent in Scotland and Northern Ireland is also banned until 31 March 2021.
- • Read our four nations FAQs.
- • Find out what financial support is available across the four nations.
- • Rules for mobile stylists and therapists.
- • How to cope with local lockdowns.
- • Our coronavirus FAQs are regularly updated. Check back often for the latest information.
- • Read our regularly updated job retention scheme FAQs.
- • NHBF Members can download an information poster, email and social media message for clients.
- • Members can call our membership team, Monday-Friday, 9-5, on 01234 831965. Please be patient due to the extremely high level of calls we are currently getting.
- • For legal advice, Members can login to get our 24/7 legal helpline number. Again, please be patient. The legal team is also dealing with a huge number of calls.